This is a post for Top Ten Tuesday, hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. You can find out more and follow along there!
Galentine’s Day is a thing created by Leslie Knope on Parks & Recreation. The idea is that the day before Valentine’s Day, you get together with your ladybros* and celebrate your friendship. I love this idea because it doesn’t take away from Valentine’s Day itself if you celebrate that, and because friendships with other women is something that’s really important to me in both real life and fiction.
- Emi & Charlotte & Ava from Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
- Sammy & Andy from Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
- Betsy, Tacy, & Tib from the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace
- Taylor & Raffaela from Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
- Willowdean, Millie, Amanda, and Hannah in Dumplin‘ by Julie Murphy
- Agniezka & Kasia from Uprooted by Naomi Novik
- Ori, Violet, & Amber in The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma
- Helen & Irene from the Queen’s Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner
- Julie & Maddie in Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- Rose, Roza, and Irina in Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
I am always looking for awesome books with strong female friendships, so if you have a favorite please let me know!
* Thanks to Ally for both this term and the inspiration for the post!