I have to admit that I’ve been in a knitting lull. The projects I’ve started aren’t holding my interest, but I feel like I have to complete at least 1-2 of them before I start anything new. We’ll see how this goes.
I did make a Secret Project which will have to remain secret until it goes off to its intended recipient.
These were made for sharing at church or with others from Palm Sunday through Pascha:
– A vegan lemon-spice cake, using a wacky cake recipe, with a lemon-syrup glaze: This was definitely a hit!
– Chia seed pudding with mango and pineapple, based on this recipe: I wanted to make sure the celiac & gluten-free folks had a dessert option
– Rhubarb and Orange Yogurt Fool from Cooking Season by Season: I followed the recipe except that I added a bunch of whipped cream because 1) why not dairy it up? and 2) I thought the recipe seemed a little skimpy. I’m glad I did.
– Kulich and Paska, from my mom’s recipes. Although I did cut down the number of egg yolks in the kulich, which I think helped with the rising time. I made one big kulich with a braided top, in a 9″ springform pan.
– Roasted Apsaragus Soup: I made three times the recipe, which was a good amount, and didn’t puree it, opting to gently mash the asparagus instead.
– Leg of Lamb Roast: This turned out really well! And while there are a few steps, it’s really quite a simple process with good results.
– Chocolate Pavlova: My first time making a pavlova, and it worked! It also used up a lot of the egg whites left over from the kulich. I served it with a mixed berry compote and whipped cream.
– No-knead bread: low fuss and great results, as always.
– Sweet Peas and Shells Alfredo from the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook: The sauce seemed a little dry, so next time I would probably add a bit of cream right at the end to combat that. But I really enjoyed this one–despite the richness of the sauce, it seemed light and springy, and the slight crunch of the peas was really nice.
– Asparagus, Lemon, and Goat Cheese Pasta: A similar idea, although simpler to put together. Also very enjoyable.
– Parmesan Cream Crackers: A little less exciting than I expected, but I bet they would be great with the addition of a pinch of herbs or garlic.
– Lately I have been wanting to cream all the things. Creamed spinach and creamed mushrooms, and a combination of both plus a bit of goat cheese which I made up. I’m not sure why, but something about the combination of creamy sauce + vegetables definitely seems to be my thing at the moment.
– I also made roasted chicken and then chicken pot pie from a bunch of recipes combined and tweaked.
– And an pan of eggless brownies because I really wanted brownies RIGHT NOW but was out of eggs. They’re more like a giant cookie than anything else, but still good.