This is a post for Top Ten Tuesday, hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. You can find out more and follow along there!
I’m kind of weird in that I tend to get very attached to The Text As Written–my ships are usually canonical and I’m not big on reading fan fiction. But every so often there’s a character in a story that I do wonder about. What are they like when the main characters aren’t there? Or their part of the main plot feels a little unfinished. So rather than wishing for a whole book, here are nine characters I’d love to know a little more about.
1. Lillian Lynburn from The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees Brennan: It turns out that Lillian is kind of my favorite? Anyway, I would enjoy a great saga of Lillian: Lillian’s struggles to find the perfect dry cleaner, Lillian’s annoyance with other people’s emotions, Lillian’s secret diary full of love for Jon Glass. I mean…I would read it! (Also, look at this gorgeous fanart!)
2. Alys Vorpatril from the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold: We get a lot of Alys’s story, but not from her point of view (except for one scene in Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance). And she’s so different from most of the other women in the series; I think her story would be fascinating.
3. John Childermass from Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke: Childermass is one of the most interesting and enigmatic characters in the book. I would love to know more about what happens to him after the end of the story.
4. Zan from the Touchstone Trilogy by Andrea K. Host: Zan was the only character from the Touchstone Trilogy whose ending I found slightly unsatisfying. I never totally understood her relationship with her squad, and just in general wanted to know a bit more about her character.
5. Raffaela from Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta: I love Raffaela, and I would really enjoy a story about her. But then, that’s true for almost everyone from Jellicoe Road, because they’re all such complex characters.
6. Bunter from the Lord Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy Sayers: I mean, what is he like when he’s not being…Bunter? Surely amateur photography and flirting with maids doesn’t take up ALL his time?
7. The Magus from The Queen’s Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner: We get quite a bit of the magus’s backstory scattered through the series, but I would really enjoy an extra story. Perhaps he could visit Relius! (WAIT. Perhaps he does visit Relius during Conspiracy and we just never see it!)
8. Costis from The Queen’s Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner: It is probably weird to put someone who was a point-of-view character in a book on this list, but I DON’T CARE. I want to know what’s going on. (It is my dearest wish for book 5 that Costis will show up riding an elephant and wearing a Mede-style beard.)
9. Anna Engel from Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein: Don’t tell anyone, but I love Anna Engel. And I’m okay with where the end of Rose leaves her, but I would also be thrilled to have more of her story.