This is a post for Top Ten Tuesday, hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. You can find out more and follow along there!
This one was originally called “Things on my Reading List”, but the way I interpreted it didn’t quite work with that title. Here are the things I want:
1. Complex, interesting, flawed-but-awesome female characters, who exist in relationship to other people but who are not defined by them
2. More historical fantasy, of the awesome variety!
3. Stories that show all kinds of relationships with faith and religion and present those who are religious as real people, not stereotypes
4. Excellent, thought-provoking fairy tale retellings
5. More books featuring marginalized people in a thoughtful and authentic way, and relatedly, more authors from marginalized cultures being published and celebrated
6. Girls who are friends, and books where friendship is the most important relationship
7. Historical mysteries, a la Y.S. Lee’s Agency series
8. The fifth Attolia book
9. Books where romance is more than physical attraction
10. Books where the prose and story and characters work together to take my breath away