This is a post for Top Ten Tuesday, hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. You can find out more and follow along there!
The topic for today is character names–either the ones you love or the ones you find unusual. My bias on this topic is for names that sound beautiful, that have some kind of resonance to them, but which aren’t heavy-handed and obvious. So, all of that being said, I tend to like fantasy names, and I also have a higher tolerance for high fantasy type names than some readers. Here are eight of my favorites.
1. Anne with an e from L.M. Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables books
2. Eugenides from Megan Whalen Turner’s Queen’s Thief series
3. Irene Attolia also from the Queen’s Thief series
4. Mitt and Moril from Diana Wynne Jones’s Dalemark Quartet
5. Nemienne from Rachel Neumeier’s House of Shadows
6. Nepenthe from The Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia McKillip
7. Raederle from the Riddle-Master Trilogy also by McKillip
8. Gil-galad from J.R.R. Tolkien
What did I miss? And do you have any names that particularly bug you?